What do you think?

Discussion in 'Runescape' started by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forum GxD              

Self-employed
    Alright so I didn’t know where to post this. If a forums staff could learn find the proper place for it. Watching random shet on YouTube and found this interesting. Let me know what you think.

Dragonpwnsz likes this.
  2. Kobo

Kobo Master                  

can you summarize it, its bout 11 mins long :kappa:

3. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forum GxD              

Self-employed
    Lazy. Basically talking about this girl learning how to code making tons of money. S/O soulsplit pim. And talking about how this Russian dude got paid 20k to beat up a dude that had hacked a rsps and was blackmailinga raps for 8k a month.

4. Anubis

Anubis Forum Overlord              

Salty Ex-Staff
    Home Page:
    Vaguely interesting for individuals who don't know anything about servers (which is probably a substantial amount of this guy's subscriber base), but to anyone who plays them or has had even the smallest role in any sort of staff team on even the smallest servers, you should know everything this individual says and probably more, except potentially the personal anecdotes, but as far as concepts go, nothing here is new or all that revealing. Probably just a waste of 11 minutes for the average RSPS player. And a mega waste for someone like me lmao. The tax bit is probably the only general topic here that isn't just common knowledge, but anyone with a bit of smarts on how business and government works could easily figure it out. I've watched the rest of the videos in this series and honestly, they're far more interesting than this one, (or at least seem more credible, though that's not to say I know every single person in the RSPS communities at large nor am I all that involved in the development side of server, but I've never heard of this person. If any known developer can vouch for her, that would be another thing as far as my perception of credibility goes) but maybe that's because I know about 95% of the content in this video, compared to the others where I knew only about 50-60%.

Dragonpwnsz and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ like this.
  5. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forum GxD              

Self-employed
    Maybe you can answer this. Tried to pm @Michael about this but haven’t replied probably asleep.
    But he said in the vid if you make 10k or more over PayPal it report to the IRS is it illegal since rsps are illegal with copyrights and shit. How does it work or if you kinda get what am saying. Money laundering? Lol just curious.

6. Dragonpwnsz

Dragonpwnsz Server Support Staff Member                        

Professional Noob

The IRS doesn't really care for copyright laws, which is what that would fall under, all they care about is you paying your taxes fully and accurately. The FBI usually is who deals with copyright laws (This is speaking of USA)

Michael and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ like this.
  7. Dragonpwnsz

Professional Noob
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ likes this.
  8. Anubis

Anubis Forum Overlord              

Salty Ex-Staff
    Home Page:
    I'm not an expert in tax law by any means (nor have I ever had to pay taxes myself on an RSPS because I've never technically owned one or profited monetarily from one), I largely tried to avoid any accounting and finance classes in business school, but it would likely depend on a bunch of different factors. Obviously, the specific tax law of what country you live in is a huge factor. The 10k number comes from the minimum amount of yearly income necessary to be required to file federal taxes (you may have a different number for state income tax). As for 2017 in the United State, if you're single (which let's be honest, most people running RSPS probably are at single filing status) and under 65, you have to make a minimum of $10,400 to have to file taxes. A large number of small servers probably don't exceed this, so a lot of them don't have to worry at all.

If you start at the PayPal thing, you have to meet both requirements of your payment volume exceeding 20k USD in gross payment in a single calendar year as well as 200 payments in the same year. It's likely that a smart RSPS owner started their own business, most likely an LLC, as a cover for their RSPS and as online payments, especially through PayPal can be hard to track without some investment, if you're reporting income from your LLC solely through RSPS payments via PayPal, you'll probably just get your tax documents in the mail in January and you'll have to pay in April as is law in the USA. Also, if said owner did start an LLC, they'd likely be able to count advertising, hosting, etc as deductible business expenses.

As far as your question of legality is concerned, PayPal (again as far as I can find and if you're not a dumbass), shouldn't know how you're making your income, just that you're selling virtual goods, therefore, they won't be able to snitch on you to the IRS over the illegality of RSPS'. The IRS will only see the raw income you're generating from PayPal. Most server owners likely fly far enough under the radar for the IRS to not dig too deep into it.

That being said, outside of PayPal, you're still required to file taxes, even if you keep your PayPal balance under 20k consistently. And failing to do that would obviously put you in tax evasion, which would you certainly be put in prison for if you're found guilty. So basically, if you're smart about it, you probably shouldn't run into the copyright infringement problem when filing your taxes.

There's probably a case to made for money laundering in some respect because you are technically concealing the origin of money made illegally, however, if you pay your taxes on your income for RSPS, there's a counter-argument to be made that according to the IRS, money laundering is the means by which people evade paying taxes on illegal income by concealing the source and/or amount of profit. So if you're paying taxes on this money, it isn't tax evasion to be concealing it, but there's still probably a strong case of money laundering because of the inherent nature of concealing the source of this income. Its hard to tell on the money laundering charge, mainly because people who make income illegally don't usually pay taxes on it, so people who conceal the origin/source of illegal income get hit with tax evasion at a minimum with other types of fraud charges on top of it. I think where you could run into a federal tax charge might be false tax returns but even then that's iffy. If you're paying your taxes on illegal income, they likely won't get you on tax counts.

I think the reason this doesn't really ever come up is because while we can wax philosophical about the potential legal ramifications of all of this, it's such small potatoes to the IRS that it's largely irrelevant. At the end of the day, the IRS just wants their tax money. And likely as long as you aren't doing stupid shit like drawing unnecessary attention to yourself, they'll largely leave you alone. What I would generally be more worried about would be Jagex persuing copyright infringement, but we all know that they don't really have the resources to do that right now. And likely won't ever again, so they're content to send out C&Ds every once in a while to scare people, but largely don't ever actually take legal action that they would have the standing to do since you really can't persue a civil suit if you aren't the copyright holder.

All that being said, I don't have the first-hand experience and it's what I could glean from various different sources online about tax law and my personal knowledge about the legal hoops in RSPS'. Someone like Michael, Lesik or Julius could likely give you a more informed answer.

Dragonpwnsz and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ like this.
  9. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forum GxD              

Self-employed
    Thanks for the info. LOL to the comment on being single if you own a rsps.
    Yeah I pmed @Michael he’s cool and probably will answer my question. Just want to know what other people thought in this. Pretty much why I post the video in the first place.
    Thanks for the info @Dragonpwnsz

Dragonpwnsz likes this.
  10. Dragonpwnsz

Professional Noob
    Sure thing my dude.
    "Knowledge is power. Information is power. The secreting or hoarding of knowledge or information may be an act of tyranny camouflaged as humility." - Robin Morgan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael 0x00 Staff Member      

I know the dude who got beat up hahaahah it was fun story :kappa:
    PayPal basically takes fees from all transactions, so they dont care too much if you report or not. I have seen PayPal have stronger rules for USA, and you need to confirm that you are or not USA citizen.

There are many servers out there which are running for years, and I heavent seen any server to have problems with Jagex and I believe that they dont even care about it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ likes this.
  12. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forum GxD              

Self-employed
    Wait you know the person? I think anyone reading this would like to know the story .

13. Michael

Michael 0x00 Staff Member      

Of course there was 2 guys that got beat up at the same date, they were held as hostages :troll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.